I love being a mom. I often think about what it must have been like to be a mom 50 years ago when all the modern resources and cool gadgets weren’t available. To me, these are necessities and I can’t imagine momming without them! Here’s a list of my favorite baby items, the 2nd time around.
This post contains affiliate links.
1. Covered Goods Nursing Cover – I can’t say enough how much I love this 5-in-1 nursing cover. It’s soft and stretchy and can also be used as a car seat cover, shopping cart cover, high chair cover, and an infinity scarf. There are some cheaper ones out there but this is the one I use. It has awesome reviews on Amazon.
2. Skip Hop Forma Diaper Backpack– What can I say, I’m a backpack girl! My husband didn’t want to have to carry a feminine looking diaper bag and we both loved this one. It comes in at least a couple of colors (blue and black) but we love the peacock blue. It fits all our necessities and easily straps onto the stroller or shopping cart. Win!
3. Aden + Anais Muslin Swaddle Blankets, bibs, burpy bibs (double as burp rags and bibs), and bandana bibs (drool bibs) – I love everything about this brand! The soft, airy feel of the muslin cotton is perfect for Texas weather. Cute designs, high quality products, and the reviews are outstanding. We also use their crib sheets and love them too. I’ve even seen some adorable sleep sacks and onesies made by this brand but haven’t personally used them. Adorable!
4. Wubbanub Pacifier – Lennon won’t take a pacifier anymore, but when he was a new-ish baby (probably between 2-5 months), I don’t think we could have survived without his “wubby.” Not to mention they come in almost every critter you can possibly think of, but the Mango Monkey is our favorite.
5. Little Tikes Snug ‘n Secure Swing – This is one of Lennon’s favorite things right now (at almost 7 months old). Every time I put him in it and start to swing him he gets the biggest grin on his face. It looks like a lot of other people also like as well, according to the Amazon reviews.
6. Carter’s Cotton Zip-Up Sleep & Play – These pajamas are so soft and I love that they zip up so you don’t have to hassle with buttons during diaper changes, especially now that Lennon is so active. He’s like a little baby ninja with a kung fu grip on your arm, kicking his legs out of his pants. Zippers on his pajamas get you outta there at least 5 times faster. He loves the footed ones that have dinosaur and puppy feet and pretty much lives in these when we’re at home.. they usually keep him entertained for a little while!
7. Blooming Bath Baby Bath Flower – This bath flower is perfect for kitchen sinks. It’s soft and flexible to fit most sink sizes and keeps baby from slipping or bumping his head on the sink or countertop. It can easily be wrung out and laid out to dry or washed in the washing machine. It looks like there are other colors available that are cheaper but we have the green one.
8. Dr. Brown’s Microwave Steam Sterilizer Bags – I can’t tell you how much time and effort these have saved us. We use them in-between dishwasher runs to keep bottles sanitized. The Medela brand works just as well. Life saver!
9. Dr. Brown’s & Philips Avent Bottles – I’ve been able to nurse both of my babies but have also had to supplement with formula both times. We loved the Dr. Brown’s bottles with both kiddos to help prevent gas and colic but since Lennon has gotten bigger he likes to play and hit the nipples with his hand, which draws air up into the middle tube and then they start to leak. We’ve switched to the Philips Avent bottles for that reason and now we don’t have that problem anymore. They also have fewer parts to clean… bonus!
10. Brica Swing Baby In-Sight Mirror – We didn’t have one of these for the first few months after Lennon was born and then after we got one I was wishing we’d have gotten it sooner. I love being able to glance back to check on him (*obligatory disclaimer: but be careful not to spend too much time with your eyes off the road, of course). I like that this one is bright and decorative so baby has something to look at; he seems to like it too.
11. Playtex Diaper Genie and refills – When Lydia was a baby we had an off brand diaper pail but with Lennon we opted for the Diaper Genie. The Genie is a little more expensive, but worth it because of the step-activated flip-up lid and the fact that it conceals the odor much better than some others. I’m pretty sure no one wants to smell poopy diapers all day. Must have the Diaper Genie!
12. Fisher-Price Rock ‘n Play Sleeper – Love how easy this is to store, travel with, and move to other rooms. Lennon slept better in this than he did in the bassinet and it was also convenient for when I wanted him to nap in the same room with me during the day. The rocking motion seemed to help him sleep better for a while as well. There are several patterns to choose from but this is one of the cheaper ones and it has great reviews on Amazon.
13. Medela In Style Advanced Breast Pump – This is a super-duper must-have for working moms who breastfeed their babies. I know there are other breast pumps out there but I can’t attest to how well they work. This one works great and is very durable.
14. Skip Hop Camping Cubs Activity Gym and Play Mat – We love the theme of this play mat because it matches the woodsy feel of Lennon’s nursery. I also like the color scheme that’s not too bold (for my taste). The various textures and attachments keep baby occupied for a while. I mean, how cute is this?!
15. Evenflo Exersaucer and/or Fisher Price Jumparoo – We have an exersaucer and a jumparoo and I would definitely recommend having both if you’re able. Sometimes our little guy enjoys jumping and bouncing and sometimes when he’s not in the mood for that (or if he’s had enough) he’ll enjoy playing in the other one. These aren’t the exact ones we have but these both have excellent reviews on Amazon, especially the Jumparoo (5k reviews and 5 stars… that’s amazing!) and the exersaucer even has a toucan on it… hello, you know I love toucans if you read my post about Costa Rica! Having a way to entertain the baby for a bit is one of the few ways I’m able to get anything done around the house. These are seriously a necessity for us!
What are some of your baby must-haves?
Happy momming (or dadding),
Join the party! Subscribe to be notified when new content is available. We don't want you to miss a thing.